Tuesday, May 20, 2014

keep it kosher, organic, local, seasonal, green, non-gmo, blah, blah, blah...

I want to run an idea I have by you.  Last year I started a Hillel CSA (community supported agriculture), where you could come and pick up a share of vegetables from a local organic farm (Green Things Farm) at Hillel.  The catch is you have to pre-pay and you can't be afraid of radishes and kohlrabi. I sold out of the 15 shares I had allotted to us in no time.
Now it's time to brainstorm again with how to keep this going, gain traction, and help our active Hillel community keep kosher, eat healthy, and invest in community.
The idea:
Keep the vegetable part of the CSA basically the same which is 15 weeks of fresh produce depending on what the farm is harvesting each week.
ADD into the mix:
-1 bunch of fresh herbs from Chef Emil's herb garden
-1 one pound loaf of house made challah bread
-1 whole glatt kosher chicken, in Chef's marinade of the week and ready to roast at home

This would change the price from $400/15 weeks to $600/15 weeks.

Do you think students & community members like yourself would sign up?
Please leave me any feedback or your email if you'd be interested in a comment or email me @ fromthehearthfood@yahoo.com!


3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea! How large would the chicken be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a heartbeat! Sounds awesome. If it were two challahs my life would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken would be an empire kosher chicken weighing average 4 lbs.
    and, I think we could do two challahs that would be perfect for Shabbat!!

    ReplyDelete